Monday, August 23, 2010

A Lot of Excitement

There has been a lot of excitement here at the Savoie House. More than the usual with these two…

On Thursday, we met some friends at the play ground down the street. The kids were having a great time and I caught sight of Jake crossing the Monkey Bars…all by himself for the first time. Attempting to be the good Mom – I didn’t say a word, but silently cheered him on. He got behind the slide and dropped. The next thing I heard was a horrible scream. Jake has a pretty good flare for the dramatic so we always have to evaluate things – like bumping his head will often elicit cries as if his head has been severed.

It didn’t look swollen or disfigured, but then it did, then it didn’t. So I called my good friend and boy expert – her advice was to wait until the next day. We headed home for lunch and Jake informed me that chicken fries and a snooze would make it better. For Friday, it appeared that it did make it better. It was still sore if he tried to push off on the floor or if we touched over the bones – still no obvious swelling. Saturday, I was getting more concerned and then he flipped himself out of the rocking chair – landing on the same sore arm.

After snooze on Saturday, I was tired of obsessing about it and wondering – and listening to the Mom voice so I took him to the ER. Of course, he bounced around like a loon and the triage nurse looked as if he questioned my sanity. He even went so far as to say “I don’t think there is anything wrong with it but we’ll get in an x-ray”

I work hard at not being a panicked mom. So, if I bring him in, I think there is something that someone with a little more knowledge needs to address.

Off to X-ray – and Jake was a champ. Perfect patient and entertaining all who attended us. During the long spells of waiting – he colored and talked…A LOT!

We get to the quick care side and the PA informs us that there is an incomplete fracture. (I researched that – it’s the NEW name for a greenstick fracture. It didn’t go all the way through the bone.) PA Tim says, I think we can splint it, we’ll see what Ortho says. Ortho comes and said – nah, we should cast. If I put a splint on a 4 year old, he’ll take it off. It was as if he’s met Jake before.

Off we go for the cast – a dinosaur cast. Again…as if Ortho has met Jake. Jake was a champ for that too, doing exactly as directed. After the cast and the 2nd set of x-rays, Jake tells me he’s done with the cast and tries to force it off. Sorry buddy – THREE weeks!

He’s pretty good with the cast – we have to remind him to be careful not to get Nick with it. We think he’ll live! J

1 comment:

The Neu Family said...

WHOA! I saw the Pre-K pictures and was thinking...hello???? explain the cast please! Glad to know he is okay and what a tough big boy! Love the dinosaur cast.